Tuesday, October 11, 2011

DIY Chalkboard

When it came to decorating my kitchen I knew exactly what I wanted.  I wanted to keep with the black and white color scheme and add pops of my favorite blue.  I decided I wanted a big chalkboard above the stove to display my favorite recipes, take up space, and add the hint of the blue.  

Let me tell you slate chalkboards are not cheap.  So I went for the alternative, a can of chalkboard paint and an evening in the garage.  I have to say I'm so happy with the way it turned out. 


I found this frame at a thrift store.  After taking out the glass you should be able to paint the chalkboard paint on the backing.  Unfortunatly, the backing on ours was cardboard, but we did come across a peice of press board Mac's neighbors were getting rid of that worked perfectly.  

 
 Roll on two coats of chalkboard paint, found it at Home Depot.


I painted the frame the same color as Mac's kitchen, my favorite!


I had to trim the board down.  First Lesson, buy a frame with a real back.  Second lesson, the saw is way to awkward/heavy for me without a real work bench ... enter boyfriend. 

Rub the entire board with chalk then wipe it off with a cloth.  This keeps it from getting those ghost marks when you write.  And wiping with a paper towel will leave little white flakes everywhere, be warned. 

 All put together.

Hanging happily in my kitchen!

2 comments:

Your comments make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...